question.jpgIn Federal Income Tax

How do I report loss on investments?

Losses are figured on Form 1040, Schedule D. The allowable capital gains loss deduction is $3,000 or your capital loss, whichever is the lesser. If the capital loss is greater than the allowable deduction ($3,000), you can carry it over into the following years until it is used up.