question.jpgIn Federal Income Tax

How do I claim and report deductible job expenses?

If you are planning to deduct your job related expenses, you have to itemize your deductions and use Form 1040 (so you cannot use Form 1040A or Form 1040EZ). You generally use Form 2106 to report those job-related expenses that were not reimbursed by your employer, and then include those expenses on Schedule A as miscellaneous deductions. However, you do not need to use Form 2106, and can go right to Schedule A, if you are not claiming any job related expenses for travel, local transportation, meal or entertainment.

For home office deductions, you should use Form 8829.