question.jpgIn Federal Income Tax

Can I deduct work-related education?

You can generally deduct work-related education expenses if that education is required, by your employer or the law, to keep your job, or if the education improves the skills you need to perform your work. However, even if the education meets one or both of these requirements, you cannot deduct it if the education is needed to meet minimum education requirements (so you cannot deduct education expenses to take the bar exam, as this is a minimum education requirement for an attorney) or if it will qualify you for a new job or profession.

Where work-related education is deductible, you can deduct your tuition, expenses for books and supplies, research costs, etc. All of these deductions are included in the miscellaneous deductions and are therefore subject to the 2% floor (collectively with all other miscellaneous deductions).