question.jpgIn HR/Employment Law

How do I apply for unemployment compensation?

To claim unemployment insurance, one has to go to their local unemployment office (or do it via the phone or web - it’s automated in many states now). In either case, you must show notice of discharge, provide your SS number, and the details of your employer. The unemployment office will then verify the claim by contacting your former employer; if the employer challenges your right to receive benefits, the unemployment office will hold a forma hearing to determine eligibility (if you are deemed eligible, you will get unemployment compensation dated back to your original eligibility date). To continue receiving benefits, however, you must maintain eligibility, which generally requires that you continue actively seeking employment, although you do not have to take a position that is beneath your qualifications.