question.jpgIn Federal Income Tax

Can I change the type of deduction I take after I file my return?

Yes, if you file your tax return using the standard deduction and later realize it would have been better to itemize your deductions, or you itemized and later realized you should have just taken the standard deduction, you can amend your tax return. You can do this by filing Form 1040X, which is the Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, and you can file it any time within three years from when you originally filed.