question.jpgIn Divorce Law

Can I modify my custody arrangement?

Child custody arrangements can be modified according to the circumstances. Custody can be modified in several ways, for instance, by changing sole custody to joint custody, or denying physical custody to an abusive parent. However, for the most part, courts are very reluctant to modify a custody agreement because it forces children into instability and causes them to change their ways. Further, courts do not like modification petitions because they feel parents often file them simply because they feel wronged by the original custody arrangement. In most states, courts will not even consider modification petitions unless there has been a significant change in circumstances, and then, only if modification is in the best interests of the child. Still, a small number of states only allow modification if the child is endangered.