question.jpgIn Copyrights

How can I use information that is copyrighted by someone else?

When you want to use something which is protected by someone else’s copyright, you should contact the copyright owner to seek their permission. Typically, this permission will be given in the form of an assignment or a license. With an assignment, the copyright owner transfers all of his exclusive rights in the protected work, whereas with a license the copyright owner only grants the other party some of the exclusive rights. In addition, with regard to sound recordings of non-dramatic musical works, you can obtain a compulsory license, which will allow you to use the sound recording without the copyright owner’s permission, as long as certain requirements are met. Finally, certain uses of protected works, particularly in noncommercial educational settings, are considered “fair use.” A protected work can be used in such a context without any permission, assignment or license from the copyright owner.